What is Botox and how it Works?
Botox is a protein that works to temporarily stop your facial muscles from creating wrinkles in your skin.
Wrinkles and facial lines are formed by repetitive creasing in the skin, from the facial expressions that we make on a daily basis. Over time these wrinkles can become large, deep and permanent.
BOTOX® works by relaxing these muscles that cause dynamic wrinkles, so the skin is given a chance to smooth out naturally. The goal of a treatment is to soften facial lines, while still providing patients with a natural appearance and the ability to display emotion.
The Best Candidate
BOTOX® Cosmetic is indicated for the treatment of:
- Frown Lines (the area between the eyebrows)
- Upper Facial Wrinkles (Forehead)
- Crow’s Feet (Lateral Canthus—the outer corners of the eyes)
- An anaesthetic cream will be placed over the areas to be treated for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Then your skin is cleaned off with an alcohol preparation pad.
- Very small injections are made to deposit the Botox®. The whole process takes only minutes.
- Afterwards, you will be ready to go on with your day!
Recovery and Results
There is no real “down-time” with this type of treatment. You can perform your normal activities the same day. It will take about 72 hours to start working and you will notice your face looking smoother and final results can take up to two weeks. You will feel heaviness as your muscles become more sluggish in forming the wrinkles you used to have. The results can last on average from 3 to 5 months, and vary from patient to patient. People around you will not know what you had done, but they will notice that your skin is smoother and more brilliant appearing!
Not only does Botox improve the appearance of wrinkles and worry-lines, but it also gives your skin a new glow. You will look bright and brilliant! Individual results may vary.
It has been noted that over time, when patients keep up with their scheduled injections, the results last longer, and the time between subsequent treatments may be extended.