WHAT IS FAT TRASFER?
Fat Transfer, also known as fat grafting or fat injection, is an increasingly common cosmetic procedure used for enhancing volume to the face, hands, breasts, and buttocks. The procedure involves harvesting of fat by liposuction, then purification and preparation of fat then transferring it into areas that lack volume.
You may be a candidate for fat grafting if you:
- Have facial areas that appear hollowed-out and sunken with shadows, creases and folds.
- Desire a more permanent correction than can be achieved with facial fillers
- Wish to naturally enhance the volume and contour of your breasts and/or buttocks
- Want to rejuvenate your hands
- Want to improve the appearance of certain scars
- Want to fill in depressions, asymmetry or any other contour irregularity of your body
- Are at or near your ideal body weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Have good skin elasticity and tone
- Uses your own (autologous) fat
- The fat is taken from the hips, flanks, thighs, or abdomen, providing you with a slimmer contour
- The transferred fat can often create a rejuvenated appearance to the overlying skin
- The results can be very natural looking and feeling
- The results can potentially last life-long.
- Fat grafting can take more time to prepare and inject compared to dermal fillers
- Depending on the amount of liposuction performed, the procedure may require a general anaesthetic and carry more downtime than dermal fillers.
- The longevity of the result can be somewhat unpredictable compared to dermal fillers
- For augmentation, multiple sessions may be required to achieve the desired result
What areas are commonly grafted?
- Fat can be a useful alternative to facial fillers.
- Fat grafting of the face is frequently combined with a facelift and neck lift. This provides a more comprehensive treatment of facial aging by both restoring volume and tightening skin.
- A modest increase in the size of the breast can be achieved, provided that you already have a nice breast shape with good skin tone.
- Women who want a large increase in size or who have sagging breasts with poor skin tone are not good candidates.
- Occasionally, combining breast augmentation with fat grafting can optimize the shape or smooth contour irregularities of the breast in select patients.
- Also known as the Brazilian Butt Lift
- Fat grafting may produce a fuller and more curvaceous buttocks without implants
- Fat grafting can restore volume, fill in wrinkled hollow areas, and cover underlying veins and tendons.
- Improves the quality and appearance of the overlying skin
- The procedure is usually done under a local anesthetic
After the Surgery
- Most patients are able to return home two hours following the surgery.
- A supportive compression garment is usually worn for the first three weeks following surgery in order to reduce swelling and aid in the healing process.
- No pressure is to applied to the freshly grafted areas
- Dr. Al Asfoor will typically see you one week following the surgery and any small stitches will be removed. Scarring is typically minimal as the incisions are tiny and well concealed. The next visits will be after 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months and 1 year.
- Although most people will notice an improvement in their body or face contour immediately after surgery, swelling will often obscure the final result. Most of this swelling will settle within 3 weeks but any residual swelling may continue to resolve over the course of three months or longer.