What is Neck Lift?
A neck lift is a surgical procedure designed to tighten sagging skin and muscles as well as remove unwanted fat in the neck. It helps to improve the contour of the jawline and slim the neck contour, giving a more youthful appearance. This procedure is also routinely combined with facelift surgery and fat grafting, in order to create a comprehensive transformation of the face and enhance facial harmony.
You may be a good candidate if you feel that you:
- Feel that you have a fat neck and double chin
- Have lost the definition of your jawline and you want it restored
- Have excess skin bands, wrinkles, and creases in your neck
- Tightens both skin and muscle in the neck
- Removes unwanted double chin fat
- Greatly improves your neck contour and sharpens your jawline
- Provides you with a natural and more youthful profile
- Well concealed scars
- Improved self-confidence
If only fat is being removed and your skin quality and tone is good, liposuction alone may be sufficient. A more extensive procedure is required if you have any of the following:
- “Turkey wattle”
- “Sagging skin”
- “Prominent neck muscle bands (platysma bands)”
- Neck lift surgery can be done under either general or local anaesthesia with sedation.
- The procedure is routinely combined with a facelift in which case the total time is 4 to 5 hours. Eyelid surgery adds an additional 1 hour.
- Incisions are made under the chin as well as around and behind the ears.
- All incisions lie within skin creases or in the hair so as to be barely perceptible once healed.
- The neck muscle (platysma) is sewn tight
- Excess skin is gently pulled back and trimmed away
- The double chin fat is removed to create a more angular jawline and neckline
- Incisions are closed with tiny stitches and a neck compression dressing is applied
After the Surgery
- Immediately after surgery you will have swelling and bruising. Your neck will also feel tight and numb. This is normal.
- The majority of the bruising and swelling resolves over several weeks but residual swelling and numbness may continue for several months following the surgery.
- A nighttime neck compression garment can be used to speed the process.
- For the first two weeks following the operation, the patient should have their head elevated when sleeping and avoid tilting their head down or moving it from side-to-side.