What is Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty—also known as nose surgery, or more commonly, a nose job— is one of the most often requested and performed plastic surgery procedures. Rhinoplasty cannot only reshape your nose and change your look, it can boost your self-esteem and increase your confidence.
What Does Rhinoplasty Correct?
Rhinoplasty will affect your facial appearance, and how others see and recognize you. It’s important that the procedure be performed by a highly skilled surgeon who is able to produce your desired results by performing one or more of the following:
- Decrease the overall size of your nose
- Shorten the length of your nose
- Narrow the width of your nostrils
- Reduce the prominence of the tip of your nose
- Remove a prominent bump on the bridge of your nose
- Correct nasal birth defects
- Fix injuries from sports or other activities
- Correct breathing difficulties by repairing a deviated septum
The Best Rhinoplasty Candidates
- Over the age of 16, ensuring your nose is fully developed, and the results of the rhinoplasty will not be affected by further growth
- Size of your nose has a negative effect on how you feel about yourself
- Size and/or shape of your nose is out of balance with the rest of your facial features
- Suffer from breathing difficulties or have a snoring problem
- Good overall health—physically, mentally and emotionally
- Realistic expectations
- You will need to take about a week off from work to rest and allow your nose to begin the healing process
- You will likely have some bruising, swelling and puffiness, not just around your nose, but possibly in other areas of your face, particularly under your eyes. This will subside gradually with time
- About 1 or 2 weeks after surgery, your bandages and splint will be removed